If 30,000 is the max for an accident involving two people, and one person receives 1200, is the other person entitled up to 28,800?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Oak Glen, CA

Asked on 08/29/2010

If 30,000 is the max for an accident involving two people, and one person receives 1200, is the other person entitled up to 28,800? NULL

Answer given on August 29, 2010

If the $30,000 limit is for bodily injury per accident, there is usually a per person limit.  The standadrd limit is $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident.  Therefore, the most a single person can collect for bodily injury is $15,000. 

There is also the possibility that the insurance limit is $30,000 combined single limit.  This means the $30,000 amount is the total amount payable for all bodily injury and property damage.  Therefore, if one person is paid the $1,200 and there is no property damage to be paid out, there would be the $28,800 available for injuries to any other person injnured in the accident. 

You should talk with the adjuster to better understand the limits of the policy so you will understand how much is available for the other person’s injuries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption