I was in a car accident on July 14, 2011 and Pilgrim totaled my car on July 19th. Now they put me in for nonpayment

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from East Lynn, MA

Asked on 02/01/2012

I was in a car accident on July 14, 2011 and Pilgrim totaled my car on July 19th. Now they put me in for nonpayment I am trying to get new insurance for a new car I am buying and have to pay 100% down. My agent never sent me any information and never told me I had to return the plates. Now I have a nonpayment for 2 years and the insurance company will not do anything. I paid for entire month of July. What can I do?

Answer given on February 01, 2012

If your car was damaged in an accident and declared a total loss by the insurance company, the insurance should have been cancelled the day after the loss. That cancellation would have returned money to you for the unearned premium on the policy. Even though you didn’t return the plates on the car, the adjuster should have contacted you to get the necessary paperwork and information. You should contact your insurance agent and ask why the insurance policy was not cancelled after the car was a total. It sounds like they failed to properly handle the insurance and they should now go back to the insurance company and have the policy properly cancelled.I would suggest you try to find another insurance company for your new car. If they find out about the problem on the previous policy explain to them that the policy was not cancelled as it should have been, so there should not have been a nonpayment issue on that policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption