I was driving on freeway and was read ended exchanged info and later realised my insurance had been suspended due to late payment. He was insured.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Downey, CA

Asked on 06/13/2018

I was driving on freeway and was read ended exchanged info and later realised my insurance had been suspended due to late payment. He was insured. What should I do. Seeing as he read ended me does his insurance company still repair even though I was presently not insured.

Answer given on June 20, 2018

If you were rearended by another driver, their insurance company should pay for the damages to your car.  Many times the insurance company may not ask about your insurance, but if they do, give them the name of your insurance company.  You should also be sure that you have since paid your insurance premium to your company and the policy has been reinstated. If you paid the premium within a certain number of days, your insurance company may have reinstated the insurance without any lapse in insurance coverage.

The other insurance company most likely will not contact your insurance company, but if they do it really should not affect the settlement of your claim for damages to your car. Provide the insurance company with an estimate, or go to the repair facility they recommend if you do not have a preferred place for repairs.  They should be able to settle the claim simply and quickly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption