I set up a home owners insurance policy in 2000 . I had a monitored security system at all time . Because of that I got a premium reduction .

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Chiriaco Summit, CA

Asked on 08/12/2014

I set up a home owners insurance policy in 2000 . I had a monitored security system at all time . Because of that I got a premium reduction . Now I found out , that my insurance company by mistake dropped that reduction out of my policy in 2006 . They are saying that they can only reimburse me for 2 years . Don't I have the right for 8 years of reimbursement of that discount ?

Answer given on August 20, 2014

Presuming that your homeowner insurance has been with the same insurance company since 2000, it is difficult to understand how the insurance company dropped the security credit from the policy. It is possible that they sent a request to you and/or the alarm company to confirm that the system was still active. If so, and no one replied, it could have been removed for that reason.You should contact your agent or insurance company and ask why the credit was removed. If it was simply an error by the insurance company they should agree to reimburse your credit all the way back to the date it was removed. They may claim that they cannot go back that far, but there should be a way for them to refund that total amount due you.You, as the policy holder, are expected to review your policy each year to be sure it remains accurate and that no changes are needed. It is recommended that you meet with your insurance agent at least every two years to be sure there are no changes needed or additional credits available. The company may be claiming that you did not review the policy and the removal of the credit is your fault. However, you should push for the full refund. If the insurance company declines, you may want to contact the Dept of Insurance and see if they can assist you in receiving the full credit due you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption