I recently rear ended a vehicle.the car I was driving is insured but not to my name. Does that mean the ins company will not cover this accident?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Commerce, CA

Asked on 02/13/2012

I recently rear ended a vehicle.the car I was driving is insured but not to my name. Does that mean the ins company will not cover this accident? Will insurance cover? And how will this affect the person who is insured for the vehicle I was driving?

Answer given on February 19, 2012

If you were in an accident that was not your fault, the insurance company for the person at fault should pay for the damages to the car, as well as any bodily injury you may have incurred. The fact that you did not own the car is irrelevant. The insurance company should settle damages to the car with the owner of the car, and not with you. This will not affect the insurance for the owner of the car, and will not go on their record. If the police were called, your record may indicate the accident occured. You will need to complete an SR 1 form to report the details of the accident to the DMV. The insurance agent for the owner of the car should help you obtain and complete the form. It is free, but is required if the damages are over $750 for the total accident – including damages to the other person’s car. It is best to complete the form even if you are not sure of the total damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption