I question my coverage , I asked my daughter 16yr old “licensed” to back up resulting in an accident we had not yet added her to our policy?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Torrance, CA

Asked on 03/19/2012

I question my coverage , I asked my daughter 16yr old “licensed” to back up resulting in an accident we had not yet added her to our policy? Daughter just licensed one month prior. No passengers in car she hit. She backs the car up at my request because I could not get into my car because I could not fit, as the car was too close to my car. She had jumped over the counsel into the drivers seat. Dose it sound like she will be covered? Or will I be covered because the fault was mine as I asked her and was guiding the car out. Will she have this on her driving record and how will it affect our insurance rates, and for how long? My daughter was not listed in the household until after the accident at my insurance agents request.

Answer given on March 21, 2012

Even though your daughter was not listed as a driver on your policy, she should be covered for the damages to the other car. This is presuming that your insurance policy is not with a named driver company, which only covers the drivers named on the policy. This is not a standard policy, so most likely you will not have a problem.Call your agent and explain your daughter is only recently licensed, and you had not yet called to add her to the policy. Then explain there was an accident with her driving and that you want to report it. Your agent can confirm that your policy is not limited so the claim should go smoothly.Be aware that your daughter will be charged for the accident, if it is over the threshold as outlined in your insurance policy. This threshold is between $750 and $1,000 depending upon the insurance company. If the damages are over the threshold, then she would be charged for the accident and her rates will be affected. Get her added as soon as possible so you can delay any surcharge until the next renewal date of your insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption