I neglected to take my daughter off my insurance after she graduated college and turned 24 years old. She did not and does not live with us.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Garland, TX

Asked on 10/26/2010

I neglected to take my daughter off my insurance after she graduated college and turned 24 years old. She did not and does not live with us. I did not provide proof of her being a full time student as I have the previous years before. My insurance company continued to take premiums out of my check for her coverage and will not pay me back. She was not insure-able and yet they keep the money. Is there anything I can do?

Answer given on November 05, 2010

If the insurance company denies coverage for your daughter due to her age and no longer being a student, then they should refund the premiums they took from you.  I would first try calling the company again.  Try to speak to a supervisor who has more authority.  If you are unsuccessful, you do have the option of going to your Dept of Insurance and asking for their assistance.   The Dept is there to represent you, the customer, and they can often talk to the company and work out a settlement on your behalf.

If your insurance is through your employer, you can also ask the employer to assist you in getting the refund.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption