I lent my car to visiting father who hit a neighbor’s parked car? My ins deductible is $500. I’ve not yet notified neighbor. What should I do?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from El Centro, CA

Asked on 11/25/2016

I lent my car to visiting father who hit a neighbor’s parked car? My ins deductible is $500. I’ve not yet notified neighbor. What should I do? Father is retired an on fixed income. I would rather not have him use his insurance?

Answer given on November 26, 2016

In auto insurance, the insurance follows the car, regardless of who is driving. So in your case, your car insurance will pay for the damages to your neighbor’s car. The damage to your neighbor’s car will be covered under property damage and there is no deductible for the damage. You should contact your neighbor and explain what happened and then call your insurance company to file a claim. If there is damage to your car, then the deductible will apply before your insurance company will pay for any damages to your car.Since your father is not listed on your car insurance, your rates will not be affected. If a police report is not filed, then your father’s insurance company may not learn of the accident and his rates will not go up. However, if the insurance company does learn of the accident and the overall damage is over $750, his rates could increase.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption