i just got into a accident and got 2 tickets and the court dismissed it and now progressive is suing me, what can i do?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Riverdale, GA

Asked on 02/12/2012

i just got into a accident and got 2 tickets and the court dismissed it and now progressive is suing me, what can i do? i recently got into a accident on 8.30.11 and i got 2 tickets which were no registration and failure to yield to the left. And i had litterally had the car for 2 weeks and i went to court and they dismissed the case because he didn't show up. So now they are saying that i owe Progressive 45,000 because of the fact that the insurance that was on my car belonged to the person that sold me the car. What can i do besides dispute the case they have against me? andthank you in advance for the advice

Answer given on February 19, 2012

The fact that you had an accident and the tickets were dismissed, does not necessarily make you not responsible for the accident. The ticket that was issued for failure to yield, indicates that you may have been responsible for the accident. Insurance companies do investigations on accidents whether there are tickets issued or not. They determine who is at fault and try to collect for the damages from the responsible party.Apparently you did not obtain insurance on the car when you bought it. If you had transferred title with the DMV, then the car belonged to you and you were required to have insurance on it. If you didn’t then the insurance company can come after you for the cost of repairs to their insured’s car. If title had not transferred, the seller of the car could be held responsible for the accident and that person’s insurance could be responsible for the damages. If the car still belonged to the seller, give Progressive is information and they may be able to collect from his insurance company and you won’t be responsible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption