I have one month left from a cancelled insurance policy due to a dui; I need a part fixed on my vehicle; can I put in a claim on the repair

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cleveland, OH

Asked on 01/18/2015

I have one month left from a cancelled insurance policy due to a dui; I need a part fixed on my vehicle; can I put in a claim on the repair before I get another insurance company and will it affect my next policy

Answer given on January 27, 2015

If you have existing damage to your car due to an accident of some kind, you need to file the claim with your current insurance company. Depending upon the type of damage and the cause, you will most likely have a deductible that will apply to the claim. You will need to report the claim to the company and explain the circumstances before they will proceed on a settlement amount with you.If the damage to the car is over a certain amount, usually around $500 to $750 then the accident will show up on your claim record with the new insurance company. If the damage was due to your negligence, then your rates could go up with the new insurance company. However, if the damage was caused at the same time as the ticket you received, they cannot charge for both. They will most likely only charge for the DUI.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption