I have my homeowners ins. since 3 years, now I have been told that my insurance premium will double 2012.They base this on a new zoning. Is this legal

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Newnan, GA

Asked on 04/07/2011

I have my homeowners ins. since 3 years, now I have been told that my insurance premium will double 2012.They base this on a new zoning. Is this legal Homeowners insurance with allstate for around $700 at the moment. If I would like the conditions - reimbursement value of home - the same, Allstate wll double the premium for 2012 to $1,400.Can they do this? I always paid my Premium. They paid for replacement of my roof 2 years ago.

Answer given on April 08, 2011

Insurance companies often take rate increases over the years.  I’m not aware of a “zoning” change as a term, but it may be they have determined your property location is in a more hazardous zone due to changes in fire protection or accessibility.

I would suggest that you shop your insurance around.  Having had a loss 2 years ago could present a problem for some insurance companies, but if it was part of a large storm, often referred to as a catastrophe loss, some insurance companies may not be concerned about the loss.  I would suggest that you contact an independent insurance agent who represents more than one insurance company, thus giving them access to more companies. 

You should also speak to your Allstate agent and see if there is something you can do to reduce the premium.  You may investigate a higher deductible, or see if there is anything you can do to reduce the risk to Allstate, and reduce your premium at the same time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption