i have full coverage insurance if i let my son in law borrow the car to get to work and he wrecks it am i covered

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Greendale, IN

Asked on 03/25/2014

i have full coverage insurance if i let my son in law borrow the car to get to work and he wrecks it am i covered NULL

Answer given on April 08, 2014

Most insurance companies will provide insurance for a permissive user of a car on an occasional basis. If your son in law does not live with you, and only occasionally uses the car, then your insurance policy will protect you in the event of an accident. In auto insurance the insurance follows the car, so your insurance would be primary in the event of an accident. If there is damage to another car, then your liability will protect you for damages or injuries caused in the accident. If there is damage to your car, then the collision coverage will apply, less your deductible. The rates would not be affected since the son in law is not listed on your policy. However, his rates could go up on his own insurance if he causes an accident.Check with your insurance agent or company to confirm that non listed drivers are covered under your policy. There are some companies that only cover listed drivers. This is rare and usually only applies to specialty, or high risk policies, but make sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption