i have full coverage and my brother was driving, he hit a curb and the car is totalled, will ins. co. pay

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cherry Hill, NJ

Asked on 01/08/2013

i have full coverage and my brother was driving, he hit a curb and the car is totalled, will ins. co. pay no other cars were involved, my brother was driving my car with full coverage insurance, the car is totalled, will insurance co pay

Answer given on January 15, 2013

If your car was totaled in an auto accident while it was being driven by another person, your insurance coverage does apply for the damages to your car.This is presuming that you do not have a named driver policy, which only covers for listed drivers on the policy. Most auto insurance policies are not a named ddriver policy.You should all your insurance company and report the claim. They will work with you to arrange an estimate and confirm if the car is a total loss. They will also need to take a statement from your brother since he was the driver of the car. If your brother is not listed on your policy your insurance rates will not be affected. However, his rates on his policy could go up since he has an at fault accident on his record. If he does not have his own insurance then your company may ask that he be added to your policy, or to be excluded. Your agent will explain this to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption