I have a policy number, can’t find the insurence

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Freeport, NY

Asked on 09/16/2016

I have a policy number, can’t find the insurence I reside in NY. My parked car was side swiped by a car registered at Florida. the police report provide the policy # but not the insurence code. the policy number starts with the letters SEL.which insurance company has policy numbers starting with SEL?

Answer given on September 26, 2016

It is virtually impossible to determine an insurance company by the letters at the start of the insurance policy. If you have the name of the driver and contact information, you should try to get more information from them. If you have collision coverage on your car, you can file a claim with your insurance company. They will pay for the damages, less your deductible and then they will try to subrogate against the driver or other insurance company. If they succeed, you will be reimbursed your deductible. This will not be considered an at fault accident.If you do not have collision insurance, or do not want to go in that direction, you may be able to contact the Dept of Insurance in Florida and see if they can help you find out who the other insurance company is. They may be able to determine this with the letters and numbers of the insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption