I am moving from my parent’s house to a nearby city for school. If I am maintaining the same permanent address, should I change my insurance address?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Northville, MI

Asked on 02/29/2012

I am moving from my parent’s house to a nearby city for school. If I am maintaining the same permanent address, should I change my insurance address? I moved from a suburb of Detroit to the city. My parents' address in the suburbs is still my permanent address. When I looked into changing my address on my insurance to my new rented apartment, it went up phenomenally. Should I make this change?

Answer given on March 03, 2012

Insurance companies rate policies based upon many criteria, including your address. If you have moved permanently to a new location, you should disclose this to the insurance company, even if you rates increase. However, if you are there for school, and will be returning to your parents home in the summer and holidays, you can still use the address for your parents.If you have a claim while at the new location, and the insurance company questions about the new location, you can tell them it is temporary so you did not change the policy. In most cases they will not make an issue of it. If they want to then change the policy, you may have to do so, but it should not affect any claim you may have, since you did not feel you needed to report the change in address since it was not a permanent move.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption