i am fully covered and i hit someone else s car backing out of my driveway ..do i have to pay a deductible to fix their car??

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Montgomery, TX

Asked on 11/24/2012

i am fully covered and i hit someone else s car backing out of my driveway ..do i have to pay a deductible to fix their car?? NULL

Answer given on November 27, 2012

If you cause an accident while backing out of your driveway, your insurance company will pay for the damages to the other car. There is no deductible for damage to the other vehicle. If your car was damages, and you have collision coverage, you can get reimbursed, but your deductible will apply for that damage.You should also see what the amount of damage is to the other car. Sometimes, if the damage is small, you can pay for the damage yourself and not get your insurance company involved. If you file a claim, and the damages are over a certain amount, usually around $750, your insurance rates will go up.If you can’t afford to pay for the repairs, or they are higher than you thought, file the claim with your insurance company and let them settle the claim with the other party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption