I am a single parent. If my son breaks my neighbor’s window, am I protected?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The homeowner or renters insurance does protect you or your son, or any other family member for damages to another person’s property, but there are some limitations in the policy. Actions by a child under 13, whether done intentionally or not, are generally covered by the insurance policy. Talk to your agent to be sure your policy works in that manner.

In addition, if a child who is 13 or older accidentally breaks a window of a neighbor, it too will be covered under your policy. Your policy also covers you if something happens off your premises, presuming the damage was accidental. An example would be a golf ball striking a car and breaking the windshield, or your son playing baseball elsewhere and hitting a car, or even a person. This would be covered by your policy.

There is no deductible for any of these covered incidents. Any intentional acts by an adult (or a child who is 13 or over) are usually excluded in the policy. The policy can be endorsed to include “personal injury” which covers you for libel, slander, defamation of character and wrongful eviction. The cost to add this is relatively inexpensive and highly recommended.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption