I accidently backed into one of my cars with my other car will my insurance cover both cars

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Tuttle, OK

Asked on 03/10/2016

I accidently backed into one of my cars with my other car will my insurance cover both cars Backing out of garage in my car which has full coverage I backed into another car owned by me this car has liability only. Will my full coverage pay for damage to both cars?

Answer given on March 12, 2016

Even if you cause an accident that damages another car that you own, the insurance company will investigate the accident. If the information indicates the accident the way you described it, they should pay for the damages to both cars. The liability portion of the car that caused the accident should pay for the repairs to the car that did not have collision coverage. Then, the collision coverage on the other car will pay for the damage to it, less your deductible. The deductible only applies to the collision portion, not the liability.Depending upon the total damages to both cars, your insurance rates may increase since it would be considered an at fault accident. Make sure the total amount you will be paid for the damages will exceed the increased costs of your insurance. You may want to discuss this with your agent before filing the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption