How to insurance home we will purchasse next door?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Burton, IL

Asked on 11/27/2011

How to insurance home we will purchasse next door? We Plan to use that home (smaller than our home) for when relatives or friends visit,, for specific entertaining - not for hire, but for ourselves and maybe use it for a home office, but not sure about that - it is a historical home and on the register.. The homes are directly next door within eyesite of each other. What kind of insurance can we get? Will it be difficult &expensive to insure even though they are both are in eyesite of each other.

Answer given on November 29, 2011

If you are purchasing a home for your personal use, including allowing relatives or friends to use while visiting, even though it is next door to your present home, you should be able to purchase a homeowner policy for this structure since it will be used on a personal basis. Even if you use it for a home office, there should be no issue for that use, unless you have clients visit for business purposes. If so, you will need additional insurance, usually added by a special endorsement for this coverage.You should discuss the intended use with your insurance agent. Be sure the insurance company has no problems with the home being on the historic home. Some insurance companies have limitatioins on what they will write in that area, since reconstruction from a covered loss could be more expensive than an average home. You may need a special homeowner policy for historical homes to properly insure it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption