How do I Insure a car in one state while living in another.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lynnwood, WA

Asked on 01/15/2019

How do I Insure a car in one state while living in another. Moving to another state. Car is staying in state where it is registered. I want to return for a few days at a time monthly and be able to have a car to drive. Want the car to be available to son and sister if need be.

Answer given on April 15, 2019

With most insurance companies, they want the car insured in the state where it is garaged. It appears that is what is happening in your case. You can continue the current car insurance on the car in question. 

You will need to add your sister and son to the policy as drivers.  Some insurance companies will automatically cover a “permissive user” of a vehicle. However, make sure your insurance company will do that on this policy.  If either driver has tickets or accidents on their records, your insurance company may want to charge for those and the premium on the car could go up. If they have their own insurance, then that may not become an issue. Also, if your son is under 25 adding him could cause your rates to go up.  It is best to clarify everything with the insurance company before anything might happen, so there are no surprises on either end.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption