HiI’m interested to know about the type of the insurance I need for covering my tenants living on my rental apartment, being insured of prosecutions.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Englishtown, NJ

Asked on 01/29/2012

HiI’m interested to know about the type of the insurance I need for covering my tenants living on my rental apartment, being insured of prosecutions. There's a tenant that lives at my apartment.In case of a health-harm that being caused to that tenant or one of his guests visit him,what kind of an insurance will protect and cover me?

Answer given on February 02, 2012

If you are a landlord, renting property to a tenant, you should have insurance for damages to the property as well as liability insurance coverage.The liability insurance will defend you if the tenant, or guests, claim they were injured due to your negligence. There has to be evidence of negligence on your part, not just if someone were to fall through no fault of your own. Your insurance agent should be able to provide you with the insurance you need and explain how it will protect you.In addition, you may want to ask your tenant to buy insurance for their personal property and liability. That way if they cause any damages or injuries to another party, their insurance will defend and pay for such losses rather than falling back on you and your insurance. Tenant insurance is not expensive and it will protect the tenants for damages to their property in the event of a fire or similar loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption