Flood Insurance rate controlled by escrow company?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Sun, AZ

Asked on 02/13/2015

Flood Insurance rate controlled by escrow company? Flood Insurance: My insurance provider wants me to have sufficient flood insurance (I live in a FEMA flood zone) to cover the balance of my home loan. FEMA is okay with this too. However, my Escrow and home loan provider (BoA) insists that my flood coverage match my previous Hazard Insurance value (much higher). It's especially frustrating since I didn't choose my loan provider- my loan was sold to them. Is this common? It seems like the insurance company should be the ones calling the shots.

Answer given on March 10, 2015

Flood insurance is very frustrating to people because lenders are more rigid on how they will require the insurance. The maximum amount of insurance available is $250,000 and, like the standard homeowner policy, the lender wants the maximum amount of insurance, or the replacement cost of the home to be the amount of insurance. The loan amount is not considered when the insurance is put into place.The problem with flood insurance is that it is so much more expensive than standard homeowner insurance.You can ask the lender to reconsider the required amount of insurance, but they will most likely decline. You must insure the home to its replacement value, or the maximum amount available to get replacement cost coverage on the home. If it is underinsured, then the settlement amount will be less than the amount of the loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption