Does Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage respond if I am hit by a car while walking to cross the street legally ( in the cross walk with the gree

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Thousand Oaks, CA

Asked on 11/09/2012

Does Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage respond if I am hit by a car while walking to cross the street legally ( in the cross walk with the gree I was legally crossing the street when hit by a car, will my Auto policy Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage respond.

Answer given on November 10, 2012

In the auto insurance policy, uninsured/underinsured coverage applies to someone in the car or as a pedestrian. If you were struck by another driver while you were walking across the street, the insurance for the other driver will apply to your injuries. If they do not have enough insurance coverage to pay for your injuries, you may file a claim under your uninsurend/underinsured coverage of your own insurance policy. You need to settle the claim with the other insurance company before you can file a claim under your policy. The other insurance company will wait until you have submitted all of your bills for the injuries suffered before they will offer a settlement.If the accident was a hit and run, you will need to file a claim under your policy. You can file for medical payment coverage as well as the uninsured/underinsured coverage. Some policies may not cover the medical payments portion for a pedestrian, but you should try.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption