Does homeowners insurance cover damage to household goods damaged by pet while not home

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Antioch, IL

Asked on 03/26/2012

Does homeowners insurance cover damage to household goods damaged by pet while not home Our cat got into a room that had my daughters designer hats from London fashion week. Destroyed several very expensive pieces. Maybe $3,000.00 worth of original collection. We have before and after photos. Is this covered under some policies

Answer given on March 28, 2012

Most homeowner policies do not cover damage to personal property by a pet or a wild animal. The policy provides “named perils” coverage under the policy. This means that the perils or causes of loss are listed in the policy. If they are not listed, there is no coverage. There are some policies that may offer broader coverage, but the standard policy does not provide that coverage.If your daughter’s hats were specifically insured as collectibles or fine arts, there may be coverage offered by that specialty policy. However, it is not certain that any insurance company would cover designer hats on a personal articles policy.Contact your insurance agent or company to review the policy. They can advise if there is coverage provided by the insurance policy. Of course, the deductible will apply to any such loss, if there is coverage under the policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption