does damage to water rising under concrete floor come under contents or buildings cover?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from NULL, NULL

Asked on 05/01/2012

does damage to water rising under concrete floor come under contents or buildings cover? I live in a rented property which has concrete floors. last year there was water rising which damaged my carpet. I have been told that my contents cover will not cover it as it would be buildings insurance that would cover the damage.

Answer given on May 02, 2012

If water rises from under the flooring of a home, there would be no coverage for your contents, nor for the building. This type of loss is excluded on the homeowner insurance for the building and contents insurance is a named perils coverage. The perils that are covered are listed in the policy.If there is a flood insurance policy, there could possibly be coverage provided by that policy. However, if the water damage was limited to your location only, then the flood insurance would not apply.Unfortunately, the homeowner policy has limited coverages for water damage. If a pipe breaks, a toilet overflows or an appliance leaks, there is coverage. Water which seeps in from underneath the foundation is not covered. You can discuss this with your insurance agent or insurance company but it is very unlikely that you will have any insurance coverage for this type of damage. You should also check your insurance policy under the exclusions portion of the policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption