Do I need to purchase addtional insurance if regularly babysit my friend’s child in my home?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Middleburg, FL

Asked on 03/09/2012

Do I need to purchase addtional insurance if regularly babysit my friend’s child in my home? I am a stay-at-home mother of 2 and I am considering babysitting my friend's infant in my home when she goes back to work. She will be paying me a small amount for my services. Do I need to purchase any insurance other than my regular homeowner's policy? I am wondering if it would be worth it.

Answer given on March 13, 2012

While each state, and each insurance company is different in their requirements for insurance while taking care of other children, generally if you are only caring for one child other than your own, then no special insurance should be required.Contact your insurance agent and tell them you are going to care for one child in your home and that you will be paid. It is possible there is a monetary limitation, but you need to be sure of what all is required before proceeding with the job. You should also see if there are any requirements for licensing if you are caring for a child.Even if there is no special requirement for insurance for caring for someone else’s child, be aware that the insurance policy you carry will not cover you for some specific acts, such as physical abuse or sexual abuse. Make sure you understand the limitations of your insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption