do i have to pay the insurance even if i was the one who got hit? and than moved out of the state?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Batavia, NY

Asked on 02/28/2013

do i have to pay the insurance even if i was the one who got hit? and than moved out of the state? accident happened in early February 2012 , i only took the blame because i didnt have a license at the time, now the other guys insurance says i owe them $4,608and that it has to be paid off in about two years, i got this notice in late February almost march of 2013. is it still relevant or are they just trying to cheat me out of money?

Answer given on October 31, 2013

If you caused an auto accident you are responsible for the damages to the other person’s car and any injuries that you cause. If you did not cause the accident, you should not have admitted fault, even if you did not have a license, and presumably, no insurance. Once the repairs are made by the other person’s insurance, they will come to you for reimbursement of the amount they paid out for the car. They will have records available to you to prove the amount they are seeking. Even though the accident was in 2012, you are still liable for the damages. If you were responsible, you should contact the insurance company and try to work out a payment plan. They will try to work with you if you can’t afford what they first tried to set up. If you actually had insurance at the time, contact the insurance company or give the other insurance company that information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption