Deductible Question for College Student

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 1, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bethany, IN

Asked on 05/01/2017

Deductible Question for College Student So today I hydroplaned into the back of someone and it's no doubt my fault. Girl in front slammed on her brakes and I had no where to go. My deducible is 500 and I drive a 2001 chevy Silverado and the only thing that needs replaced is the hood as It hit her tire on the back of her car, so my front end is basically okay. However, her whole back windshield, bumper, tire case and trunk hatch of her rav4 will need replaced (about $3000). My question is 1. Will i be able to get a new hood (about $200 with labor) through my insurance as well as paying for her damages for the deductible of only $500? Im just a little confused as to what my deductible covers. I have comprehensive coverage.

Answer given on May 03, 2017

In auto insurance, the deductible under your insurance policy applies to any damages to your car.  There is no deductible for damage caused to another driver. In your case, if your deductible is below $200 then your insurance company will pay for the difference to repair your hood. However, you say you only have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle. You must have collision coverage for the insurance company to consider repairs, so you have no coverage for damage to your car. The damage to the other driver’s car will be paid in full, or if the car is considered a total loss, they will pay the actual cash value of her car.  They will also pay for any injuries to her if there were any. This is presuming you have liability limits sufficient to pay for the repairs and if you have enough bodily injury coverage for any injuries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption