Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Orcutt, CA

Asked on 04/01/2017

Coverage Car is registered in my name. Daughter drives the car. Insurance on car is in her name, her insurance. She just moved to Nevada. Boyfriend was driving car, got into accident, no license, and a dui. His fault. Deductible is $500. Coverage is $5000. Is insurance going to fix car? Gieco is insurance

Answer given on April 09, 2017

Technically, car insurance should be written in the name of the registered owner. In this case it should have been insured under your name, with your daughter listed as a driver of the car. Unlisted drivers are usually covered under the standard auto insurance, but since the driver was unlicensed, the insurance company could deny coverage. If he had permission to use the car, and daughter did not know he was not licensed, it is possible there is coverage.You don’t indicate if another car was involved in the accident and/or if there are injuries. These factors could influence the insurance company to deny coverage as it will increase the severity of the accident. Insurance follows the car, so any damages or injuries to other parties would be the responsibility of the insurance policy on the car.Your daughter needs to call the agent or insurance company and report the claim. Let them ask the questions and have her give truthful answers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption