Closing bill from dropped insurance company

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lovelock, NV

Asked on 02/29/2012

Closing bill from dropped insurance company I recently changed my farm insurance from one company to another. The new insurance covered me from the last date the old insurance coverage stopped. A month later I get a bill from the old insurance for lapse in coverage for two weeks. If I provide proof that I was covered for those two weeks by the new insurance company, does the old company still have he right to charge me? No, I did not call the old company to stop the insurance, and this is not a cancellation fee. Thanks.

Answer given on March 05, 2012

If you are replacing your insurance with another company, you should always call the previous company and advise them to cancel the policy. While some policies will automatically lapse back to the renewal date, there are some policies that require a written or verbal request for cancellation.You can provide the previous insurance company with a copy of your replacement policy, showing the date your replaced coverage. This should be sufficient to cancel your policy back to that date and no money should be owed. However, make sure you receive an ecknowledgement that the insurance company has cancelled the policy as of the date you requested. Continue to follow up until you get something in writing.Your new agent should also be able to help you get the old policy properly cancelled. Ask them if they can fax a copy of the replacement policy on your behalf, and confirm that they have done so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption