cancel my umbrella policy due to my adult son’s driving record.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Niles, MI

Asked on 03/21/2012

cancel my umbrella policy due to my adult son’s driving record. My adult son rents my basement, has his car in his name only, and his own insurance policy.My policy was canceled due to his bad driving record.

Answer given on March 22, 2012

If your son is an adult and has his own insurance for his car, you should be able to exclude him from your auto insurance and your umbrella policy. It is unlikely the insurance company will be willing to continue the policy if he is not excluded from your policies, since he still technically lives in your home. However, be aware that if you exclude him from your auto policies, he cannot drive your cars for any reason. If he does, there will not be any liabiility insurance provided in the event of an accident.You should talk to your insurance agent or company and see if they would be willing to exclude him from the policies in exchange for you keeping your umbrella policy.If they decline, you should see if you can increase your liability limits on your home and auto(s) and any other property (such as a boat) to $1,000,000. This is not quite as good as an umbrella policy, but it may be an alternative that will work for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption