Can someone have their insurance company have my license suspended for a accident that someone else had in my car?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Hayward, CA

Asked on 08/16/2012

Can someone have their insurance company have my license suspended for a accident that someone else had in my car? In 2009 a person who I knew stole my car and got into an accident. The other party to the accident's insurance company has been calling me trying to get payment and I have been referring them to the person who drove the car. Now the other parties insurance company has called me advising If I dont agree to make payment by next month they will sue me for the entire amout and have my licence suspended! Can they have my license suspended for an accident I was not in, and the person whom I knew admitted that they stole my car, and has said they are willing to make payment arrangements.

Answer given on August 19, 2012

In auto insurance the insurance follows the car, no matter who is driving that car. If someone else was driving your car and caused an accident, then your insurance company should handle the claim.You need to call your insurance company and report the claim. It has been a long time since the accident, and the insurance company could deny the claim, but you should explain that you did not understand you were responsible. One of the other insurance companies should have explained this to you so this would not have dragged on so long.Your license could be suspended if you did not have insurance at the time of the accident. Presuming you had insurance then reporting the claim should resolve that part of the incident and get things moving forward. If the other insurance company calls you again, refer them to your insurance company to settle the claim. If you did not have insurance, thenyou will need to work with the other insurance company to settle the damages caused by your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption