can my policy be changed from full coverage to liability without my consent

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Raeford, NC

Asked on 03/23/2016

can my policy be changed from full coverage to liability without my consent I purchased a car with a loan and had to have full coverage to do so. My agent informs me that my coverage was dropped to liability for failure to sign a consent form mailed out after my purchase can they do this

Answer given on March 28, 2016

Each state has its own rules and regulations in reference to car insurance. If your insurance company is requiring a consent form in order to continue the full coverage insurance on your car, ask the agent to send a new form, or go by their office to get the form and complete it. The agent should have contacted you in the first place to tell you to expect the form and to return it promptly. They also should have called you when they knew the coverage was going to be removed from your policy. You should have received a notice from the insurance company that they were preparing to drop the coverage. However, the insurance company should be willing to reinstate the full coverage option on your policy when they get the form. If the bank learns there is no physical damage coverage on your car, they can place coverage to maintain the proper insurance. They can charge you for the cost of this insurance until you obtain your own insurance through your policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption