Can I get my own coverage to drive mom’s car. I was excluded from her policy last year due to a suspension.which has since then been resolved.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Barona Rancheria, CA

Asked on 11/12/2010

Can I get my own coverage to drive mom’s car. I was excluded from her policy last year due to a suspension.which has since then been resolved. license was suspended for unpaid traffic tickets. went to court and the judge dismissed original tickets ordered me to pay for driving on suspended license 1,100. before getting my license back (no sr-22). I now have my license, (and 2 driving points), but no coverage on the only car I have access to at this time. what options do I have? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer given on November 14, 2010

It sounds like you were excluded for the suspended license.  Since you now have your license back, you should talk to your insurance agent (or your mom’s agent) to see if you can have the exclusion removed. 

If you have two points you don’t qualify for a good driver discount, but the insurance company may be willing to add you to your mom’s policy, with the appropriate charge for the tickets.  Since no SR22 filing is required they will most likely approve you being added. 

If the insurance company declines to add you to the policy you can see if the insurance agent has another company that will write your mom’s insurance and include you as a driver for a similar cost, presuming your mom oks trying that.  If that doesn’t work then the only other option would be to buy your own car and insure it on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption