Can I buy homeowners insurance if I am the leasee on a lease to own property?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lithonia, GA

Asked on 08/22/2012

Can I buy homeowners insurance if I am the leasee on a lease to own property? Good day,I have a lease to own agreement with a very close (well trusted) family member, and I would like to get the homeowners insurance in my name, if possible. If my relative signs a quit claim deed surrendering their ownership to me would that enable me to be the policy holder? Also worth noting is that the property does have a bank mortgage on it .

Answer given on August 22, 2012

Homeowner insurance is intended to cover the property owner for damage to the home and contents. While you have a lease to own the property, the bank who holds the mortgage may not allow the title to be changed. If you purchase a homeowner policy in your name, and there is a loss to the home, the insurance company may decline to pay the claim since you are not the owner of the property.Some insurance companies will write a policy with special endorsements to protect you and the property owner. Call your agent or company and see if they will be willing to write a policy for you. If not, you may have to arrange a different plan for the insurance. Also, if the insurance company will not write the homeowner in your name, you should get renters insurance for the personal property in the home. If the policy stays in the family member’s name, then your personal property would not be covered by their policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption