Can I be sued if I had full coverage and someone driving my car was involved in an accident.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 2, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Columbus, GA

Asked on 05/02/2017

Can I be sued if I had full coverage and someone driving my car was involved in an accident. I had full coverage with my insurance company. My son who does not live with me was doing errands for me, due to my illness.He was involved in an accident my insurance would not pay for my car or the other person, then they dropped my coverage. I had uninsured motorist coverage and I thought I was covered. Now they want me to pay $6989.00 that I don't have. I was told if I didn't pay them they could revoke my license and car registration.

Answer given on May 02, 2017

In automobile insurance, the insurance follows the car. So if your car is involved in an accident, your insurance should pay for the damages, injuries caused in the accident.  If you had full coverage on your car it should be covered, less your deductible.  However, there are some insurance companies that only cover named drivers on the policy. In that case the insurance company can deny a claim if caused by an unlisted driver. 

You should contact your insurance company to have them explain why they have denied coverage for this claim.  If it is due to being a named driver policy then you could have a problem.  I’m not sure who is asking for the $6989, unless it is the other driver’s insurance company. Your son, if he has his own car insurance, may be able to file a claim under his own policy for the damage and injuries to the other party. He should contact them about this in hopes of resolving that part of the incident. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption