Can an insurance company cover damages caused by a pothole.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Harrison Township, MI

Asked on 02/12/2013

Can an insurance company cover damages caused by a pothole. i drove into my apt complex and drove in a big pothole that i didn't see due the time of the day and rain. The damage the pothole caused is to the bottom of my car costing me $700 to get it fixed. Would The insurance company cover this?

Answer given on February 12, 2013

If you have an auto accident involving a pothole, your auto insurance would cover this damage under the collision portion of your auto insurance. Your deductible will apply and if the insurance company pays over a certain amount your rates could be increased.Review your insurance policy to see what your deductible is. If you have a $500 deductible, you will only get $200 from the insurance company. If they would increase your rates due to the accident, you may not want to file a claim with your insurance company.If the pothole is in your apartment complex parking lot you should see if the apartment company will pay for your damages. You can claim they are responsible to maintain the parking lot to prevent damages to your car. If they refuse, see if they will pay your deductible. If you file a claim with your insurance company, they may try to subrogate against the apartment complex, and that may be a better way to go by letting your insurance company go after the apartment complex. If they are succdessful, you could get your deductible back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption