Can an insuance do patch work on damage when I have replacement cost?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Scotts, MI

Asked on 04/26/2012

Can an insuance do patch work on damage when I have replacement cost? I had water damage from my kitchen sink when I was not in my home. The adjuster refused to cover a lot of the damage and only would do repairs. On my plastered wall going downstairs was one of the repair jobs done, which now does not match the other plaster work on the other three connecting walls. Do I have any rights to deny the repair job upon completing the work now that it does not match. I have not cashed any insurance checks for any work completed yet. Also my hardwood floors were buckled . I have replacement insurance not repair.

Answer given on April 27, 2012

Most homeowner insurance policies cover on a replacement cost basis, especially on the home itself, if not the contents. Water damage is a little different, as the insurance company will not pay for a pipe that breaks, but will pay to repair the damages done, including the repair of a wall to get to the pipe. This is presuming that the loss was recent, and not ongoing for quite a while which could result in mold and/or dry rot.You need to speak with the adjuster to see why he is taking the attitude that he is. He needs to explain to you how he arrived at the amount for the repairs and why the buckling floor is not being covered. There may be a communication issue. If you don’t get any resolution, ask for a supervisor and see if they cany explain the settlement for the claim and what you feel has been overlooked or denied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption