accessory improvements

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Tallassee, AL

Asked on 07/27/2012

accessory improvements I live on waterfront property. I have a large investment in 900 foot long asphalt driveway, gazebo, 500 square foot dock, 225 foot long seawall and 1,200 sf concrete boat ramp. These improvements are equal to or exceed the replacement value of home. I am concerned about storm and tree damage to asphalt. I am concerned about storm, wave, wake and flood to dock, seawall, gazebo and boat ramp. Is there any (or multiple) coverage that would cover these items.Any advice will be welcomed.

Answer given on July 29, 2012

The homeowner policy provides coverage for “appurtenant structures” and there is a limit in the policy. This limit can be increased for an additional cost. The perils covered for these structures are listed in the policy.Many of the areas you are concerned about would not be covered by the homeowner policy. The homeowner policy provides coverage for “sudden and accidental” losses to the home and the appurtenant structures. If a storm causes a tree to come down on the gazebo that would be covered. Land movement is not covered for any structure, even the home itself. The flood policy, offered by FEMA, would provide some coverage for the dock if caused by a flood and some wave damage, but it too is limited in coverage and the amount of insurance available. Talk to your insurance agent and have them explain the policy and how it will cover your property, and also what would not be covered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption