A tree owned by the mobile home park came down on my mobile home damaging the roof. Whose insurance company is responsible for repairs?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Covington, WA

Asked on 06/26/2012

A tree owned by the mobile home park came down on my mobile home damaging the roof. Whose insurance company is responsible for repairs? NULL

Answer given on June 28, 2012

If a tree comes down on a property, in this case a mobile home, the responsible party is determined by deciding whether this was caused by neglect or not.If there was a storm, and the tree appeared to be healthy before the storm, then the insurance company covering the damaged mobile home would cover the damage caused by the tree. Of course the deductible for the owner of the home would apply. This type of loss is generally referred to as “an act of God”.If the tree was known to be hazardous, or was in poor condition, then the owner of the tree could be considered responsible for the damages caused by the tree.The best way to handle this type of claim is for the owner of the property report the damage to their insurance company. the company will pay for the repairs, less the deductible. If they determine the tree was in poor condition they will attemp to subrogate agains the insurance carrier for the owner of the tree and, if successful, will reimburse their client for the deductible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption